Friday, March 15, 2013

Mimi ni mwalimu kwa hesabu na sayansi

 
I feel like an accomplished math and science teacher after this week. I have done so many activities in the class, and quite frankly, I'd rather just show you all than write about it.

First off, in math V we started fractions, so as a  review, we used fraction circles and rectangles to build wholes. Each circle or line was broken down into 1/2's, 1/3's, 1/4's, etc.

 

I love this picture. These two tend to fight like cats and dogs, so to see them smiling and working together was a treat! :)
 
 
 




In class V science, we did a lab about wind resistance because we're doing a unit about experiments in general and this one's easy. Two pieces of paper, one normal, one crumpled up into a ball, drop them both. Which one falls first and why? I'm not so sure they cared, they just loved Madam actually telling them to get on their desks.





 
In Class VII, we did another unit on experiements which would be followed by a unit on plants, so I decided to combine the two. This picture is of me struggling to open juice, one of the options for putting in their cups of seeds. This, plain water, water with dish soap, and oily water were the other choices.
 
One student with her cup.
 
Pouring the juice into another student's cup.
 
 
 
 

A few weeks ago, I blogged about the disease unit with Class VII where I made them do presentations. These boys presented on cancer, while the girls below did chicken pox.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Something else from a awhile back, these are some pictures from Valentine's Day! These are all Class VI.

 
This actually says "I love Valentine's Day, but I hate the boys from Class six." The girls really weren't nice in class six.
 
Yep, Bad Boy and Mr. Good Boy. In some ways, they nailed it too.
 
 
 
And then these are a lot of pictures from just hanging out with my kids.
One of my Class V students

Perhaps the best photobomb ever.
 
My Class V boys acting just like my Class V boys. They also demanded that the mountains be in the background.
 
 
 
I think that about sums up my week. I don't have much new to say. The plan for next week is classes on Monday as usual, tests for Classes I-VI Tuesday-Thursday. Class VII took a mock exam, so a government issued practice exam for the national tests in September, this week. Because of that, they don't have to do midterm exams. I don't know how they did on it yet, but I'm excited to find out. Things got very real for me when I saw the exam schedule today. On Thursday, they have two exams in the morning, a break, sports time (PE), and then it's written "Farewell to KJ." Oh boy. One more week. It hasn't truly hit me yet, but if all else fails, I'm pretty sure a Tanzanian celebration will do the trick.
 
God bless,
 
Kjirstin
 

2 comments:

  1. Kjirstin - love the photos.. looks like the students are loving your teaching techniques! You rock.... pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the smiles - you can tell that everyone is happy - the kids really like you, and I know you really like them - and, you are accomplishing educating them at the same time - what a deal!! I truly think you have been such a breath of fresh air for them compared to their traditional "sit in chairs and be lectured" style of learning. I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete