Monday, November 26, 2012

Asante Sana Mungu


As you can probably tell, this is a little outdated. We were crazy busy this weekend, and when we weren't the internet wasn't great or it just wouldn't let me post. So, pole sana (I'm very sorry) but here it is, and I shall hopefully post again tomorrow maybe about this weekend, of which there are a lot of wonderful things to tell! :)

Last weekend was normal, pretty quiet which was nice. I’m not sure if I posted this yet (so if it’s old news, sorry!) but the pastor had talked to me about teaching some classes. I had heard that the decision was made that I would teach Class IV math, starting next year, so mid January. However, on Monday, the pastor came over and was talking to us, and informed me that the plan was for me to start teaching now, and that I would teach Class IV math AND science. So…. starting Tuesday, I taught Class IV math and science.

This sounds so much scarier reading it back than the reality. I think it really helped that I had the warning that I would be teaching soon, and I’ve been working with a lot of math with the kids. Also, Christine and I sit next to Class IV, so I’ve been getting to know those kids very well. I still can’t name them all, but I’m doing pretty good! Also, the teachers are encouraged that once a class finishes a book to bump them up to the next book, so if Class VI finishes the English VI book, start VII even if the year doesn’t change until January. Class IV, on the whole, is a very smart class. In all of their subjects, they perform well, and Christine bumped them up in English already. I found out from their previous teachers that they both just started the Math V and Science V books. The math book starts on review, so I’m getting to learn where they’re at and how they’re doing, absolutely perfect for what I need right now. Science isn’t as much of a review, but it’s starting on body systems. After all of my healthcare experience, I feel quite comfortable, although depending how far we get, I’m going to have brush up on some of my own science knowledge!

Math has been going fine with them. We have done LOTS of subtraction review; I’ve introduced the concept of “checking your work” since most mistakes are really just silly ones. It’s been interesting. They’ve never heard of it before, so it’s going slowly but surely. Science though, I’m really learning how to teach this. First off, science here is almost purely conceptual knowledge. I mean, our school doesn’t have electricity, and water is dependent on if it’s on or not. Now, try to think of a lab you can do with a bunch of fourth graders that involves no water, no electricity, and has the items available in a third world country. My creativity skills are going to evolve beautifully, but I’m trying to learn then how to teach these concepts to fourth graders. We’re doing the digestive system, so it’s at least something they can relate to; they all have one. But the other interesting thing is, probably because of the lack of lab work available, the concepts they’re learning are crazy for fourth graders! They’re learning about things I studied in Biology 151, a college level course I took my junior year of high school! I keep looking at their books going “What?!” To me, the book is written strangely, but it’s written for their eventual Class VII test. I looked at a mock science exam the other day, and I was blown away by what these kids are expected to know. I’ll be sure to update as things progress!

Other than those things, Monday and Tuesday were normal. Things are very quiet at the pastor’s house. Nathan, the pastor’s son who just finished Class VII is at “pre-form” which is a month long preparation for secondary school. He’ll be back sometime close to Christmas, then go off to secondary school, which is sad. We miss him! This week, the pastor and his wife are in Dodoma, so it’s just Lauren and the two house girls at the pastor’s house. Last night, one of Christine’s piano students volunteered to play at his church’s prayer service. Since it was the first time one of her students would be playing in public, we both wanted to go. However, we thought he meant playing during like a special music type time; he was the prelude, and we didn’t know that until afterwards. We actually didn’t stay then for the service; since he was one of the students that lived at the orphanage we visited, we went back with him. Right when we got there, they of course fed us; after a little while, I decided I needed to go to get some things done back home. I took my first dala dala ride from town to home, which was probably overdue, but it went fine. Tomorrow, we’re celebrating thanksgiving with the other missionaries in Morogoro; we’re eating turkey and everything! There’s going to be 13 families together for this! I’m so excited! On Saturday, we’re doing a field trip for Classes II, IV, and VI to Bagamoyo which is a beach by Dar es Salaam. It’s a historic site in Tanzania because it was involved with the slave trade. Also, it’s on the ocean so the kids will get to play in the water. It’s going to be a very long and interesting day since it’s a four hour drive there and then four hours home, but I’m happy because I’ll get to go to the Indian Ocean for the first time! I saw it flying in, but I haven’t actually gotten to go to it yet. It will actually be the first time I’ve left Morogoro since I’ve arrived (two months to the day!)

One last thing, happy thanksgiving! As you can probably guess, it’s not celebrated here, but it’s still wonderful to recognize it! We did some journals with Classes V and VI about what they were thankful for. This is one of the responses we got. The grammar’s imperfect, words are misspelled, but the sentiment is absolutely heartwarming. Enjoy!
 "1. Thanks God because he give me good health help me with my studies.
2. Thanks for help in Examination in September and October.
3. I thanks for these things because in Psalm 118 says "Give thanks to the Lord for he is God His love endures forever.
4. And I thanks Gof because he helped me when I was younger.
5. I pass in many troubles but he helped that is the thing that you may thanks God.
6. I love God He die for me. I LOVE GOD."
 

I can’t thank God enough for this opportunity. Some days, I’m so wrapped up in the intricacies and mundane matters of life and am thankful for them (running water, electricity being turn on, fast internet etc) that I forget to be thankful for the big things. I’m here, teaching these kids that God has blessed me with, getting to experience an entirely different life. God has blessed with the strength to do this, and really overall, do this gracefully. All I can say is, asante sana Mungu na bwana asifewe! (Thank you God, and praise the lord!)

God bless,

Kjirstin

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sunshine! Nice post! I'm glad to hear the teaching is going well - it's hard to imagine how you could possibly teach some of those things without any tools or resources. Your creativity must be being challenged! I love you - Mom

    ReplyDelete