Saturday, January 12, 2013

Precious Moments

Well, in great contrast to my last post, things have been rather boring the last week and a half. After the mountain climb, Christine and I have spent most of every day in Kihonda just hanging out. We've watched a number of movies, spent time with the Pastor's family, and gone to town a few times usually just for groceries although we did go out for lunch on Monday. Also on Monday we started making teaching schemes (lesson plans) for the new year. The good news I found out is I don't have to write my teaching scheme for the whole year, just for the time I'll be here. I learned lots of other things on Monday, such as I'm teaching Math V and Science V again this year. I'm thrilled about this beause it means I get to keep the same kids that I was teaching at the end of last year. In addition, I will be teaching Class VI and VII Science which I'm much more apprehensive about. I've worked with all these kids individually, and some of the Class VI kids in the remedial math class (which I don't think will be possible this year between time and possible space). However, I haven't taught them in a classroom setting, so I'm a little nervous at the moment. I'm even more nervous about Class VII because we have been asked to push them through their books so that they can prepare for national exams in September, and since I'm leaving the next teacher with whatever I haven't taught, I don't want to leave him or her a daunting task. I also learned that because of the way the schedule works, when we close for Easter break, that is the end of teaching for me. It was a really shocking moment when I realized that I only have ten weeks teaching and then I'm done. I always thought we'd only have one week off for Easter, come back for a few days, say my good byes and then go to England en route to America; it's only a difference of a few days, but it makes me really sad and I don't want such a large good bye to color my last few weeks here.

While my mind has been munching on all of these things, I've also been thinking a lot about the differences in the last few weeks. Without school, life here is just strange and empty. In many ways, it's a very good challenge. It's helping me to understand what I like about being here, what I like about my work here, what I don't like about my work here, etc. I've been a lot more homesick, maybe because of my recent vacation with my Mom and getting to go back to the first world, even if it wasn't my home or even my own country. But I think a larger reason is that I came here to serve others, and that made up so much of my joy here. Without the service, there went my joy. It's reaffirmed other decisions of mine; for instance, one of the driving factors for me leaving full time school was frustration of being only a student. Clearly, with more time I've been trying to get more schoolwork done, and I have suddenly reverted to being a full-time student once more. Even though I've had flashes of doubts about this decision throughout the last few months, I've realized now how much I don't miss it. Getting to mix my school with teaching truly keeps both in check for me. When I've had too much of one, I can switch and keep both in perspective. I get to serve by teaching now and prepare myself for a greater servanthood someday when I have earned my degree.

Well, enough about that, since I don't have as much to really update about, I decided to post a number of, well, "precious moments" that have happened since I've arrived here. Teaching English as a second language to children is often so very entertaining because the most interesting things come out. These are just a few that I hope will brighten your day!

For a journal assignment about "If you could be any animal, what would you be and why?" we got the reply of:

"I would want to be a cow because I want to be eaten. I think I would taste good. I think people would enjoy eating me."


When writing about advice on how to be good, one student advised:

"We should not beat old people." I think we can all agree.


We gave Class IV an assignment to write a letter to God, and we let them make them really nice by writing them on construction paper and coloring them. Before they could do that though they had to have us approve the letter. I picked up one and the first thing I read is "Die God,"

Me (to the child and quite shocked): What were you trying write here?
Child: Dear God.
Me: You did not write that.


Towards the end of the year, when I started to be in the classroom more, I noticed that whenever the kids couldn't read the board because I was writing, they would say "Madam, squeeze!" I always understood what they meant, so I always just reacted, but finally, one day:
Me: Guys, why do you say 'Squeeze' whenever you want me to move?
No one could really give me a straight answer.
Me: All right, do you guys know what squeeze actually means?
No one did.
Me: I need a volunteer.
One of the little boys came up, and I squeezed him really tight, to the amusement of the class.
Me: Ok, from now on, whenever you want me to move so you can read the board, you need to say "Madam, please move." If you say "Madam squeeze" or "Madam move" and don't say please, I will come over and squeeze you.

I have had to do this a few times. Since that day, "squeeze" has become a sort of swear word to them. Whenever someone says it, they run out to our desk saying "Madam, madam, so-so said 'squeeze'!" regardless of whether or not they said squeeze to mean move or to actually mean squeeze.


This exchange occured in my Class IV Math one day:
Boy brings me his exercise book: Finished Madam!
Me: Ok, do you have extra work?
Boy: No Madam.
Me: Ok, you can work on flashcards with someone else, (a little girl) is done, work with her.
He goes off, I thought to work with her, I was working with other students and didn't notice. Suddenly,
The girl I had told him to work with: Madam! He won't work with me because I'm a girl!
I looked to him: Is this true?
Boy: Madam, madam, please don't make me work with her!
Me (teasingly): Are you afraid of girls?
Boy: No Madam, it's not that, just please don't make me work with her! Please let me work with a boy!
Right then another boy finishes his work and brings me his book.
Boy 1: Madam, Madam, please let me work him!
Boy 2: Yes Madam, let us work together!
Me (to Boy 2 and still teasing): Are you afraid of girls?
Boy 2: Yes Madam!
I was surprised by his answer for a few moments.
Me: All right, you admitted it. You don't have to work with a girl.

For the record, one of these boys gave me a hug good bye at the end of the year. I love my kids, and I'm really excited for our new year on Monday! :)


God bless,

Kjirstin

3 comments:

  1. This was awesome Kjirstin, I wish I would have known you had a blog sooner! Good Luck with your teaching, but it sounds like you are doing great! Love your stories at the end! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Kj! I know you will have a busy week - enjoy your squeezes!! I love you - Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the anecdotes... They show how you feel about these children... Thanks!

    ReplyDelete