Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Pictures! And Bribes!

Ok, so I'm not sure what is more exciting to write about first. Just for your viewing pleasure, I'll entice you all with pretty pictures.

 
 
These are the two views of our kitchen, this is where we walk in. The stove doesn't actually work, but the fridge does!

 
Our living/sitting room, with Christine demonstrating how we sit in the sitting room.


 
Behind the chairs we have the bathroom sink that doesn't belong in the bathroom.

 
My bed! I included the frame to give some sort of dimension to the bed- it's huge! As you can see, I have a lovely mosquito net. I believe this bed is a sign that God answers prayers. I wanted a canopy bed when I was little. God gave it to me :)

 
My cabinet! It literally took six men to bring this in!

 
You can't see the toilet, but this is the bathroom. That green bucket is our spare water for when the water isn't on, which is most mornings. So far, I've only had to do one bucket shower.
 
 
 
Eventually, I'll get some more pics of the school and what not on. In the meantime, I feel it necessary to share the full story of how I got my residence permit so quickly, as I learned it today. I was told I needed $500 US to get my permit. I had some on hand, but not enough, so when I Christine and I were in town one day, we tried to get schillings to exchange into dollars. I didn't realize I didn't have enough schillings to exchange, so we went to SIX banks to try to get more! I don't know, God just didn't think that was the time or place. Every bank either was closed, the ATM's didn't work, didn't give me as much as I needed, or I got declined (which was weird because I haven't had that problem). We got pretty close, and just figured the pastor could bring the rest of it when he went to get the permit, and I would pay him back. Well, a few weeks pass, I get permit, and I start looking at it. It says it only cost $250. I never actually asked pastor because I forgot, but I didn't expect him to keep money from me that was mine. He didn't. This afternoon, he, the other pastor, and a trustee came over to our house. They explained that my permit had cost a lot of money to get so quickly, they had to pay for transportation for people and documents to certain places faster, etc.,
 
Western translation: The pastor used the extra money to bribe people to get my permit done faster. And it worked. I feel somewhat dirty right now, and that's not the usual dirt on my feet.
 
I hope your worlds are as interesting as mine! :)
 
God bless!
Kjirstin
 

1 comment:

  1. Kj - I'm posting this under Anonymous. Very easy - just clicked on Anonymous at the bottom of the "Comment as" field. Thanks for the pictures - but where are you??? I love you - Mom

    ReplyDelete